Wednesday 3 January 2018

HACKED OFF!

This blog is about being HACKED.  I post it to a) warn you, dear readers, of Internet scammers and b) to draw a line under the whole experience.

I was just ending a two hour stint of working on editing my novel when a grey box covered my work on the screen. (I always 'back up' my work on a data stick but had not yet had chance to).  At the top the words 'Microsoft Security Alert' drew my attention to read the contents of the grey box which was telling me not to close down my computer as I would loose all my files due to insufficient virus protection (or words to that effect).  There was then a full screen telephone number to ring and a voice urging me to 'ring this number'.  I debated my options : close the computer down and potentially loose all my work or call the number hoping it wasn't a scam.

I pride myself with being computer savvy for an 'old 'un' but in the moment with the options and knowledge that either way my computer was needing attention.  Being of a secretarial background I got pen and paper ready and wrote down the phone number and things that were happening as I rang the number.  (Missed Clue 1 - underneath the number were the words (Free Toll)).  An Asian voice answered the call, was very polite and asked me to press the Windows key + R which I did and it gave him access to my computer which then proceeded to do what I was lead to believe was a diagnostic report - the screen was going crazy with data.  I asked if this was a free service from Microsoft and he replied I would get a report at the end.  I thought I would make a decision of what the next step was when this report was given.  (Missed Clue 2 - I was asked if I had ever been hacked before, replying 'no' probably indicated I was naïve).  I was given a customer reference number and it all looked very convincing of being from Microsoft.  (Missed Clue 3 - The 'windows' logo was blue not the four primary colours of the Windows symbol).

I was informed that the computer needed spyware/riskware and he seemed to install an Advance Identity Protector saying it was Support & Firewall Security (still showing Microsoft).  When he said I could pay 1 year's cover for $199.99; 2 years $299.99 or a lifetime payment of $499.99 I said I couldn't afford it.  I was now feeling well and truly taken for a ride.  He again pressed for payment and I again said I couldn't afford it.  He then got 'narky' and said I may as well throw the computer out the window, to which I replied, "well I'll just have to do that then".  I ended the phone call and closed down the computer, rang my computer fixer and arranged to take it for his expert advice.

I was cross, with myself, with him, with the now defunct computer and all it held dear to me - photos, on-line banking, my novel of 100,000 words.  I stomped about the house feeling violated.  It felt like someone had got inside my head and manipulated my thinking; I vowed to go back to using a typewriter!  The internet is a corrupt place.  As I relayed the occurrence to loved ones, it made me feel sick.  Thankfully they were very understanding and told me it can happen to anyone - large companies like banks and NHS have been subject to hackers.  What happens to these hackers?  Do they get away with it?

I now know that the phone number was an unregistered one - my daughter looked it up on her IPhone (I was unaware you could do this) and I changed my bank PIN and Microsoft Password, but she assured me that he didn't get what he wanted and would have moved onto the next unsuspecting person or company.

I was 5 days without my left arm that is my laptop, wondering if my computer man would be able to fix the problem.  He reinstalled Windows 10 and copied data over to its new home inside my laptop, behind a screen that looks slightly different and things rearranged but all present, thankfully.  He charged a reasonable sum and my life is restored.  I will maintain my 'never buy anything at the door, over the phone or on the internet that I didn't ask for' policy but the older I get the more nerve wracking this experience seems to be.  Be aware readers, think carefully, think wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment