Saturday 14 March 2015

DAIRY, ASPARTAME & SACCHARIN FREE

Did you know that IMPERIAL LEATHER SOAP contains milk?  No nor did I until I had cause to start reading labels to prevent a nasty allergic reaction to all things dairy.  I would never have thought that SORBET on a restaurant menu would contain milk proteins (thanks to the staff for pointing this out).  Then you innocently buy a bottle of red wine only to get it home and find that too lists 'milk' in its ingredients! WHY, why is there milk in my soap and a favourite alcoholic tipple?

Goats cheese, soya milk, yoghurt, cream and custard have now taken up residency in the fridge.  I have found dairy free biscuits, chocolate, cakes and brownie mix in either supermarkets or health shops.  It is not easy to find these things at first.  It is very time consuming but very necessary to read all the labelled ingredients.

All food products labelled 'Diet' or 'lite' contain aspartame apparently.  I have swapped Diet Coke for ordinary coke so far but now I realise it, or saccharin, is in some fruit juices, chewing gums, sweets etc. so I have to extend my research and will be naming them as I find them as I am sure other Hives suffers would appreciate the information.

If you have an allergy to any of the dairy products or sweetener ranges do tell me what alternatives you have found and where from.  With grateful thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment