Monday 26 June 2017

Crafting

I set up a Crafting Group TEN years ago this November.  We have met every month and made loads of cards.  I was a novice back then, amongst avid crafters.  Some of the group watch/ed QVC and spent a fortune on items, had/have a stock that any craft shop would be proud of, and never sent a bought birthday or Christmas card.

Over that time I have stopped saying 'I have no imagination'; I have learnt that mistakes are opportunities to learn or make something up to cover it up; and have become 'quite good' at cutting and pasting.  Whilst my Crafty friends use die cuts and glitter pens, stamping equipment and Sissex machines, I have been content with packs of lovely papers, decoupage and easy to make kits. One friend is a super expert at parchment craft.  Words and terms of crafting have developed in my vocabulary over the years.  Of course, my crafting equipment grew too, from a bag to a box; from a box to boxes; and now a cupboard full.

We are happy cutting and pasting; chatting; laughing; sharing life events etc whilst surrounded by papers, cards, ribbons, gems, peel offs etc etc.  We have a Christmas meal together and when one or other of us are away on holiday or not well they are sorely missed.  The group and activity is SOOOOOOOOOO therapeutic - not only does focusing on a hobby lift our souls but the laughter and camaraderie is invaluable.  The fact that we make lovely cards is secondary now.

I have always had a creative side to me, as do the other ladies - one makes bespoke celebration cake, another sews bags and toys, another knits etc etc.  I have, over the years, painted stones, baked cakes (but not feeling they were good enough to donate to 'cake stalls' - that's changed; sewing, knitting and growing plants.  I have branched out to painting flower pots, re-creating a chair or two, designer pegs, board pictures and so much more.  (I wrote about selling my wares on a stall a few years back - scroll down to find the blog).

Recently I volunteered to make cards to raise money for a young girl to get into a ballet school.  I made 20 cards and was surprised at how much I enjoyed doing it for monetary gain, and, with my efforts.  I gave myself a 'very good'.  It has made me think about raising funds for a Cancer Charity - so watch this space (and/or Facebook & Twitter).  Here are just some I made earlier...

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment