Monday 31 December 2018

At the ending of 2018

A Reflection -

Highlights of 2018

  • A visit to Birmingham to see places not seen for 40+ years.
  • A visit to Southport and Liverpool seeing the Antony Gormley statues at Crosby Beach
  • A holiday in Crete
  • A new job
  • Swanwick Writer's Summer School
  • Visiting an Aunt I have not seen for 40+ years who lives in Spain
  • A trip to Anglesey with a friend
  • My nephew's wedding
  • Times with family and friends
  • Books read and reviewed
And, the other side of the coin
  • Coping all year with ill health
  • Family and friends with major health issues
365 days fly by don't they and yet at the time of each day life is a slow, daily opportunity to do your best, whether at work or at home.  Living with pain makes one appreciate the small things of life and gratitude that you can at least walk, talk, hear, see etc and never-ending sympathy and admiration for those less able.   

My focus has been drawn away at times from my goal, to be a published author, however I have managed book reviews, writing for a local magazine, blogs etc.  I have my first novel out to two or three publishers at the moment and am still editing and working on novel two, albeit slowly.  Chipping away and enjoying the process.

Christmas brought lovely gifts, family time and news of a great-nephew or niece to bring joy next year.  

I hear many a grumble about social media and the affect it has on some people who fall prey to abuse, negative comments and seedy romance seekers.  However, used appropriately I feel it is, in some cases, not only a life-saver but for many a place to find support and positivity, genuine care, fun and a platform for sharing goals and life issues with trusted friends that one perhaps will never meet.  People fighting all sorts of cancers, battling with mental health or life changing circumstances as well as great cooks, writers, political activists, animal and nature lovers, etc etc all contribute to my daily 'check in' and lift my spirits.  Maybe I spend a little too much time on this where I could be pursuing my goal but then I would miss out on this wonderful community that share insights into their passions
and interests.  What a rich world it is.

Well now I stand at the gateway to a NEW YEAR and a NEW START.  I don't make resolutions but I have a new MANTRA that I began whilst exercising on a daily basis.  I have it written above my writing space and on my heart.  Whereas 'perseverance pays off' was once my motto I also believe that 'determination' is a wonderful thing to have.  It gives FOCUS, DRIVE, HOPE, POSITIVITY and inspires others to think about how they can be a better self.

To those who follow me on my BLOGs - thank you for your time and interest.  I hope 2019 brings you unexpected joys and a spirit of determination in times that are not as you would wish for.



No comments:

Post a Comment