Friday 24 May 2019

A Mindful Moment

Each morning, my first drink is a cup of hot water with a slice of lemon in it.  I buy lemons, slice and freeze them so that I can enjoy them in either hot or cold water.

Today, I held my cup and stared at the piece of lemon floating on the surface of the steaming hot water.  I wonder where it was grown and remember when I lived in Cyprus the trees laden with yellow fruits.
I think of the farmer collecting them and loading up baskets on his donkey.  I think of crates of lemons transported to the docks in old lorries then loaded onto ships that will sail to the UK.  A more modern lorry then buzzes down the motorway to supermarket depots and uniformed staff put them out for display for shoppers to buy.  A market stall holder in our town shouts out the price for a bag of 5 lemons and my own shopping bag that carries them home.  

All this before I sip a taste of morning sunshine in a cup.

The citrus zing awakens my taste buds and refreshes my mouth and digestive system, ready for another day.

One slice of lemon.  One Mindful Moment.
DID YOU KNOW :
Lemons are high in antioxidants.  They are said to :
Aid Digestion
Detoxify the liver
Speeds up your metabolism
Helps relieve depression, anxiety, relieves heartburn, wards of cancer and reduces inflammation.

I can't vouch for that bit of information, but I can recommend it as a refreshing drink.




No comments:

Post a Comment