Tuesday 19 January 2021

Meet the Author - Erin Green

 


As it was a New Year it seemed an appropriate title and a good follow on theme from my previous read.  I was soon on my imaginary holiday in the lovely harbour town of Brixham enjoying a solo holiday with Benjamina, Emma and Ruth.  I like books that are written in the first person and this one is broken up with the character’s name within each chapter so you know whose viewpoint you are reading.  For anyone who likes a 'girls' weekend away or a holiday with a difference, this is a delight.

 

The 3 ladies soon make friends and start to pursue hobbies in order to make the most of their time away.  They find happiness in these activities and new adventures open up being away from their normal commitments and concerns.

 

Some of their new beginnings also have endings, some are traumatic, sad, funny but all are life changing.  Will they remain friends and keep in touch, will they return to Brixham?  Will Benni (Benjamina) and Ziggy be reunited in love?  A page turner for sure.

 

I loved it.  Well done Erin Green *****

 

Read how Erin enjoys her writing:

 

Q – Which was your favourite character to write and why?

A – My favourite character is Benni due to her honesty and difficulties in life. In real life, I seem to have met many Benni’s in various sectors of our society. Women who dearly wish to follow a dream, master a specific skill or venture to pastures new but daren’t for fear of what others might think or simply a lack of self-confidence in their own ability. Benni puts herself down before anyone else has the chance to – which is really sad as she has a huge heart and much love to give. She talks herself into booking a ‘solos’ holiday in Brixham knowing that she must step out of her comfort-zone and begin participating in life rather than shying away.

Q – Have you ever been out to sea catching fish (I loved Benni’s trip and I’d be ill like she was) or horse-riding?

A – I have sailed on numerous boats, but have never been sea fishing though, I’d love the opportunity! As a child, I went horse riding whilst on holiday in Wales, the pony was called Rocky which indicates how long ago that was! My last occasion on horseback was a decade ago when I had a riding lesson at a local riding stables in Amington, Tamworth. The lesson was purely for research for a book I was writing back then which I later scraped, but the research notes and experience of the riding lesson came in useful for ‘New Beginnings At Rose Cottage’. I did ‘help’ to muck-out a stable for research purposes whilst writing Benni’s story; I’m a firm believer in author’s gaining as much experience as possible when writing a specific plot-line.

Q – What is your favourite ice cream flavour (not necessarily in the book)?

A – Mint chocolate chip. My choice has never changed since I was a child. I had a lot of fun researching the unusual ice cream flavours and even more fun actually blending and tasting them!

Reply - Wow, I'm impressed, I'm not very adventurous with tasting new foods, especially ice cream.

Q – Is Rose Cottage based on a place you have stayed in?

A – The idea for ‘New Beginnings At Rose Cottage’ actually came to me whilst holidaying in Brixham and staying at Rose cottage. I arrived on the Saturday and by the Tuesday, as we drove to the local town of Totnes, I noted details relating to my three ladies: Benni, Ruth and Emma into my mobile phone. My muse was captured by the sights and sounds of the surrounding scenery. On the Thursday evening, I sat in the rear garden and wrote the synopsis - thankfully, my editor and agent loved the premise straight away.

I’ve received emails from readers who have holidayed in Brixham and gone in search of the cottage only to follow some of my characters’ routes through the town, sightseeing or to the local pub. Which is a thrill for any author to know that readers have gained a further enjoyment and insight having read the book.

Q – If you could go on holiday this year (Pandemic/Covid19 allowing!!) where would you go?

A – I would happily go back to Brixham for a two-week break. I’d start my day like Benni visiting the fish market, possibly indulge in a champagne breakfast and spend the day walking around taking in the stunning scenery. At midday and at eight o’clock on the evening, I would listen out for the church bells playing ‘Abide with me’ – which was a particular delight given that I’m a bell ringer (when Covid19 allows).

Q – what are you writing at the moment?

A – Until the 27th January 2021, I’ll be editing next year’s Christmas book, which is part two of a series set in Shetland. I always wanted to visit Shetland as a child, so booked a holiday for Easter 2019. I was there a couple of days when my muse took over and I began making notes. Experience told me, I’d be writing about the beautiful scenery in no time! The first book, ‘From Shetland, With Love’ is published in May 2021 with the sequel, ‘From Shetland, With Love At Christmas’ being published in September 2021, both are available for pre-order via Amazon.

My true delight as an author is writing rather than editing so, on New Year’s Day, I began writing a new book, almost a secret one, which allows me to indulge my love of writing whilst polishing the Christmas book.

Reply : Thank you for your time, hope we can meet again soon and good luck with your new books. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment