Tuesday 10 August 2021

A Feather on the Doormat

A Feather on the Doormat

No, it's not a book title.  Though it could be.  But it's not the title of my (as yet unpublished) first novel.  

I have blogged my novel writing progress over the years: showing you my writing space; blogging about courses I've attended; books I've read etc etc.  I know some of you share my hope that one day my book will be published and available for you to read having spent so much time in the writing, editing, re-reading, editing again and again, sending off to publishers and agents and I am now 50,000 words into its sequel. 

So what's this about the feather?  A white feather on a doormat.  If you found this on your return home what would you think/feel?   This feather on the doormat is found by my protagonist, Sheila Walker, and is to her a sign from her departed mother.  A feather appears at special moments throughout her life that comforts her, encourages her, 'speaks' to her.  Sheila talks to her mum in her head and on this occasion does not receive a clear message back.  She needs to do something, but not quite sure what.  She commences on a quest to find out, acting on impulses and instinct.  It leads to a clearer headspace, a tidier home and eventually a change of direction.  Intrigued?  I hope so.  I will blog some more snippets later, so watch this space.

                                                                                * * *

Perhaps you have lost a loved one and have had a similar experience?  A robin, a butterfly, a flowering rose on the anniversary of the death of someone close.  Or a whisper on the wind, an inner sense of the deceased being near, a warm breeze rubbing past your shoulder.  There are many different believed signs of life beyond our earthly one.  I hope you find comfort by such occasions in times of grief.

                                                                            *  *  *    

I know for some people feathers would evoke fear - the fear of feathers is called 'Pteronophobia' and the irrational fear of being tickled by feathers brings about a very high anxiety state, from the mere thought, let alone the action which would undoubtedly lead to a panic attack.  They would be likely to avoid places where they will be in contact with or see feathers ie. a bird park, avairy or visiting anyone with a pet parrot or budgerigar. Perhaps you know someone like this?

However, I hope for you, like me, feathers are lovely to see.  Soft, gentle, reminders of nature and beautiful birds.  Something to sink your head into - a pillow full of duck down, or cover you at night with a feathered quilt.  Perhaps your sofa cushions are feather filled or you have a 'dream catcher' in your window with the feathers blowing in the breeze?  Perhaps you will notice feathers more often after reading this blog?  Do let me know in the comments box below or via Twitter @tweetsue13.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment