Thursday 3 January 2013

Clearing the clutter

NOT JUST BOOKS...

A new year, a new start ....
Clearing out the clutter part II

It is a hard task to let go of things that have shaped your life and for me it is most definitely BOOKS.  There are some I have had for over 30 years.  I kept them as visual reminders of how they had significantly helped me in several ways:
  • they have guided me to become who I am today
  • they influenced my spirituality
  • they comforted me in times of trouble
  • they enlightened/educated/encouraged me
  • they have de-stressed me
  • they have helped me in my relationships
  • they have focused me
  • they have lead me in ways I might never have gone
  • they have helped my health and well being
  • they have amused me
  • they have helped me escape the world as I entered the story and got engrossed with fictional characters
  • they have inspired me
It is like saying goodbye to very dear friends but in reality they are just books.  I will hope they find a new home and be treasures of others who find the written word to be as fascinating as I do.  I will never EVER forget them as the lessons they have taught me are etched in my brain.  The very essence of them run through my veins and reveal themselves in my daily life.

I handle them one more time, flicking through the pages and remembering...  I smile, I sigh... I am grateful to the authors and to the publishers.  Treasures in deed, but time for a new phase of life, new books to read in new ways (enter the e-reader) and who knows, may be I will write one of my own!




No comments:

Post a Comment