Wednesday 16 September 2015

The Journeys - outward

The outward journey began early morning with a two hour drive to Heathrow airport.  A smooth journey and a brief drop off farewell.  Check-in is a whole new process since I last travelled abroad - it's all self service printing off your ticket, boarding pass and luggage labels. 
This done one enters the departure lounge area to find numerous shops and eating places.  I had planned on a vegetarian cooked breakfast but, after scanning all the different menus ended up with porridge and coffee.

Internet access was available whilst waiting to board so a quick farewell on Facebook and Twitter as so many others, with their heads down over mobile phones, iPads, etc, were probably doing.

A four hour uneventful flight and I landed safely in Athens.  The yellow taxis lined up outside the airport taking holidaymakers to various hotels.  Thankfully when it was my turn to jump in quickly, I found I had a lady driver.  We chatted in broken English and I used what little Greek I knew and she was well impressed.  I was dropped at the door of my first hotel.

A dire little accommodation, a budget overnight stop before I moved to a hotel where the Skyros group would gather.  The lift to my 7th floor bedroom was old style - a cupboard door appearance and no inner door so you watched the wall as you ascended to your floor.  The room was tiny, dark but clean and adequate.  Having hardly eaten since the porridge breakfast, aeroplane food and I don't get on, I went out into the street in search of food.  In the nearest cafe I had a hearty salad - one of many more to come.

The following morning I ate breakfast on the top floor which had a good view across the main road to the beach, sea and park.  As soon as I was fed and watered I ventured out again for a walk along the parkway and said hello to the sea (and to a rock, see another blog later).

Then it was time to find the Dorian hotel in the centre of Athens.  Another taxi, this time with a young male driver.  I recognised buildings from many years ago, and more recently from the news on TV.  Stepping into the Dorian hotel felt very luxurious compared to the previous night's accommodation.  Shiny tiled floor, light and airy, a professional greeting.  I was up on the 7th floor again but a proper lift took me there this time.  As soon as I possibly could I was out of my travelling clothes and got my swimwear on.  The pool was on the 14th floor, by the bar and open to a panoramic view of Athens including the nearby Acropolis.  Wow.

The swim was sooooo refreshing and to feel the sun on my skin was heaven.  I relaxed and read my book. I then dressed and went in search of lunch.  The back streets of Athens were a labyrinth of shops and eating places and when I settled in a small taverna with an omelette, 2 young girls from the same hotel joined me and told me about their travels.

Later, whist having an evening meal I met a lovely lady who was to be one my companions for the following two weeks.  We chatted easily and I went to bed happy.  The next day a coach would take us to the port.  My new friend and I got split up after breakfast and piling onto the coach, our cases in the luggage compartment, I settled down to the next part of the trip.  We drove back to Athens airport to collect other passengers, then onwards to our first ferry, a journey of about 1.5 hours all told. 

Two ferry's another long coach drive and a walk up a steep town to our apartments, collecting our luggage and bumping it over the cobbled streets and up about 30 steps and I arrived at my destination.  I'd made it.  I was here.  Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment