Monday 14 March 2016

Book Review II - The Cake Shop in the Garden

As an avid Carole Matthews' fan when I saw the launch for this book I just new I would be reading it, isn't the cover delightful - who doesn't like cake?  The launch saw Carole and friends enjoying cake from an actual cake garden - yes a garden made of cake.  Here is the proof!  Wow, what a stunning way to launch a book.  I wish I could have been part of it. Nom Nom Nom

Mary Berry, the Cake Queen, has endorsed this author announcing publicly her addition to Carole's books (there are 29 of them to date).  What an accolade for Carole.


Well, Carole had written one or two more books before I got around to reading this paperback.  It seems that books 'come out' in digital form first and then perhaps some six months later they hit the shop shelves as paperbacks.   So my list of 'books I want to read' gets longer and preferring a 'book in hand' I have to wait for sometime to get one ticked off my list.

The first few chapters for me evoked a sad feeling as it hooked into a place in my own situation I didn't want reminding of, but I soon divided fiction from reality and engaged with the protagonist and her everyday life.

I was also reading this gripping novel whilst preparing for a #timeforacuppa event - raising funds for Dementia UK, so all the cakey references, together with the many cupcakes, Victoria sandwich and tray bakes I was making had me working alongside Fay and her Latvian assistant.  Needless to say I went off cake rapidly as I felt a cake overdose, both mentally and physically.  This only made me read quicker than normal heading and hoping for a happily ever after ending.  I was not disappointed and soon returned to eating cake!

There were lots of laugh out loud moments as well as shedding tears of joy and sadness as I read this book.  Fay's life of boredom, routine, caring and an ordinary life turns to excitement, shocks and discomfort.  Life can sometimes be turned upside down when circumstances dictate change.  There is triumph in the face of adversity; love over feelings of hurt and disappointment; and good times over bad.  It left me hoping for a sequel (Please note Carole Matthews). 

The lovely Carole Matthews eating a plant pot cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment