Wednesday 1 August 2018

Memory Lane break


44 years of marriage needs to be celebrated, well life itself needs celebrating, no need for an excuse.  Living in the moment, whether in good health or not, is certainly one way to create happiness.  I expect you have heard of, if not use, Groupon?  Well we took advantage of a deal at the Park Regis Hotel, Birmingham for this particular anniversary.  We were both born in Birmingham and besides an occasional visit to the shops in the town centre we had never revisited our old 'haunts' and wanted to see the changes, particularly the canals.  I will be reviewing the hotel on Trip Advisor as it was excellent but here's a glimpse of where we were:




Birmingham on Sea 😄

Bar Balcony

Beautiful decoration
Our trip began with a short train journey (now we have Senior Railcards) which took us into Birmingham New Street station (Grand Central, as it is now known) which we had visited before.  We walked the length of Broad Street recognising, and not recognising, places along the way.  Lee Longlands shop was still there - we bought our first pine dining table and chairs from there; as were one or two pubs we had individually frequented in our teenage years before we met.  But the college where I was trained in Secretarial skills back in the 1970's was no longer there, in fact Brasshouse Passage has now transformed into a beautiful opening to the canals.
Brasshouse passage renewed

Brindley Place near to Sea Life Centre

Lego Giraffe outside Lego world by the canal
Birmingham Art Gallery
I hope that angel was healing me in the Art Gallery!   We also rested in Victoria Square next to the Town Hall where I recalled singing in a school choir 'Jerusalem' to the Queen Mother who was sat in the gallery.

On the way back up Broad Street to the hotel I noticed the pavement had special stars along the way, here are two of my favourites:



I was saddened by sights of the homeless making a bed with a sleeping bag or quilt in doorways or on the pavement where there was a bit of shelter or they were walking the streets with bags of all their possessions. By night and early hours of the morning the sirens of emergency services were sounding much too frequently.  That said, it all made me grateful for what I have, who I am, where I came from and where I am now.  Hope you have enjoyed this glimpse into my life - if so do comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment