Tuesday 6 January 2015

One hunded pennies

Has the younger generation not heard of the saying : 'if you look after the pennies the pounds will take care of themselves'?  I ask this because today a young man behind me in the checkout queue at the supermarket dropped 2p and openly told his friend he couldn't be bothered to pick it up.  It is not the first time I have come across 'copper litter'.  I used to have occasion with my work to go into local High Schools and by the gates, path to the entrance or in the playground I could have picked up 50p or more.  I don't want to appear miserly or hard done by so rarely pick up dropped coins in view of others but it exasperates me.

A purse or pocket full of coppers, granted, is heavy and unwanted but take them home and pop them in a pot.  This is my solution and have done it for as long as I can remember.  When the pot is full count it up and take it to the bank to exchange for 'useful' currency.  Or, these days there are money counter/converter machines in the foyer of some large supermarkets.

Being thrifty isn't just for hard times.  Today I have converted pennies into pounds - £15 pounds to be precise.  £5 in coppers, £9 in clothes (recycling payment from Cash for Clothes £4  and a £5 Marks and Spencer's voucher for recycled M&S items given to Oxfam) and redeemed my scratch card win of £1.

Come on lads and lasses, pick up your pennies and makes some pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment