Thursday 4 February 2016

Musical Groups




Last Saturday night saw me on a coach trip with hubby and friends.  We were travelling to Wolverhampton theatre for a Sensational 60's Experience.

The 1960's were called the 'Swinging 60's' and the pop culture was at an all time high.  I was only little then, it was late 60's early 70's when I became interested in what was in the charts.  My first record (you know, those black vinyl disks that you put on a record player) was 'You were made for me' by Freddie and the Dreamers.  A member of this group, Alan Mosca, was the compare for our evening of entertainment - a white haired, white suited gentleman that I didn't recognise.  I wanted to sing the song as I felt sure I could remember all the words, yet often I can't remember what I need from the shops without a list.

Unfortunately, we had chosen a night when Herman's Hermits were replace by the Fortunes.  I remember Herman's Hermits but alas not the Fortunes.  The other Groups were: The New Amen Corner, a tribute band that perform with Chris Farlowe and Steve Ellis; and The Union Gap.  It was nice to think I wasn't as old as I thought as there were some songs I didn't know.  However, they did sing some old favourites like - You've Got Your Troubles, Caroline and Young Girl which had me dancing in my seat, clapping to the rythymn and singing as no-one could hear.  Were they always that loud?  Echo's of mother shouting up the stairs "turn that down" as I recorded song after song, on a Sunday night, into my reel to reel tape recorder with a little microphone on a stand next to the transistor radio. 

I stared at the men on the stage.  They were old.  No zimmer frames but grey hair, bald heads, false teeth, and I am sure a body full of medications.  It was a weird sensation.  My eyes felt like I was just 30 years of age but my head told me different.  Don't get me wrong, they could still sing, they could still play their instruments extremely well but the look was all so very confusing.  Old men doing what they have done for more years than any of us wanted to remember.  The confusion was - did I admire them or did I think they should retire.  There comes a time when we are no longer at our best, our sell by date expires even if we do not, and I think I wanted to remember them as they had been originally.

Arriving home, with ringing in my ears, after midnight was a mood killer.  I mean, the youngsters today are just warming up on a Saturday night at that time!  Ahhh, I love my bed.  I wonder if One Direction, The Spice Girls, Little Mix and Union J will all still be performing in another 40+ years????



No comments:

Post a Comment