Tuesday 14 June 2016

Book Review - Martin Clunes - the biography

by Stafford Hildred and Tim Ewbank

Having read this book I feel like I know this man, having grown up with him in my life via the television.  He is my on-screen brother that I have never met. 

He was so funny in Men Behaving Badly which brought him to fame.  His behaviour, language and relationships, being out of step with my own experience, was at the same time somehow familiar.  In MBB he personified young, carefree, maleness.

Now we are both older I love his documentaries about Islands, Horses, Dogs etc.  His voice is dry and soothing.  Recently, whilst watching a programme about Ageing, I recognised his voice as the commentator.  It was as warm as the programme which gave a positive outlook, rather than the normal negative perspective of what old age might entail.  I like to think would know his voice anywhere.

My favourite character is Doc Martin - the quirky Cornish GP who has no people skills, no bedside manner and yet an excellent local GP.  He diagnoses illnesses accurately, sometimes without being asked to and saves children and adults alike from potentially fatal situations.  It is his relationship with Louisa that is of greatest interest to me.  He loves her but they misunderstand each other so much that living together, even for their baby's sake, takes a huge amount of effort and energy.

In one episode Asperger's Syndrome was hinted at but this has not been brought to the fore as a reason for his relationship difficulties and therefore the Doc is portrayed as 'odd', 'funny' and 'different' rather than there being a brain related reason.  Adult diagnosis of AS is not talked about in the media or in social circles, which is a pity as it needs to be more widely accepted.

I was unaware Martin Clunes is a real Doc Martin having been honoured with an honorary degree from Bournemouth University.  He was bestowed a Doctor of Arts for his work in acting.  The book mentions this near to the end, along with his love of VW camper vans - one in particular that he is doing up himself.

I was also unaware of the extensive charity work he does and of his lovely close knit family of three - himself, Phillipa his director wife, and Emily his daughter.  Many of the photographs the book includes show Martin smiling or laughing and the whole book left me with a sense of 'this is one happy chappy - grounded, loyal, caring and very talented'.  His commitment to charity work is admirable and the writers of this biography have done him proud.  A career listing at the end of the book shows how very flexible an actor Martin has been.  A 5-star read.

No comments:

Post a Comment