Saturday 4 June 2016

Memory Lane Post 1- I remember when...

 
When this picture appeared on Twitter it immediately evoked a memory and these thoughts followed:

I do remember doing this as a child.  I used an ordinary HB pencil, whatever coins were to hand and a piece of white paper or tracing paper.  It could be done with a wax crayon of any colour; a piece of charcoal or coloured chalk.  I'm not sure if I actually used the triangular wax crayon that I have a vague memory of, used perhaps at school on a trip to a church for brass rubbings.

It was a simple exercise, pointless maybe, but one that passed a bit of time in quiet pleasure, perhaps whilst mother was preparing tea or on a Sunday afternoon in my bedroom.  There were no other distractions or self-play computer games, the saying 'I'm bored' never uttered.  There was always something to do.

Pressing flowers or leaves
Skipping
French skipping
Marbles
Hopscotch
Cats Cradle
Roller skating
Throwing a ball up the wall - one potato, two potato, three potato, four etc.
Reading comics
Reading books
Colouring
Drawing
Painting
Making things
Collecting insects in a jar
Studying butterflies
Playing make-believe
Playing 'Please mister crocodile'
Playing Hide and Seek
Playing Tig - akky one, two, three.
Kite flying
Cricket/French Cricket
Rounders
Jackstones
Listening to the radio
Going to the library
Going Ice Skating
Going to the pictures

The list could continue and I am sure you could add to it in the comments below.  Perhaps if you have young children, grandchildren or young nieces, nephews, great-nieces/nephews you could make a point of showing them some of these activities in order for them not to be lost forever.  Happy Memory Making.

No comments:

Post a Comment