Sunday 12 June 2016

Memory Lane 3 - Hoola Hoops, Pogo Sticks and Go carts

 
I had a red hoola hoop.  An inexpensive circle of plastic that provided hours and years of fun.  Besides twirling it around my (then) nimble waist seeing how many rotations I could manage, it also transformed into a skipping implement too.  It was used at the school sports day too, laid out on the green grass with several others that we had to jump into, lift over our heads and run on to the next obstacle - a bean bag, egg and spoon or the dreaded sack race to the finishing line. 
 
I was quite envious of my friend having a pogo stick, and as I recall she had a pair of stilts too.  She was a good friend and let me use them too.  We would count our bounces or wooden stilted steps and laugh when we lost our balance and fell off, then start all over again. 
 
Living in a cul-de-sac we would 'play out' for hours during school holidays, after school before teatime (5pm) or before bedtime (7 or 8pm). 


The boys in our little avenue had home made go-carts that they would race along the road or around the pavements.  This one is quite superior to the one a neighbour made from scraps of wood, old pram wheels and his sister's old skipping rope to help 'steer' with or to pull it back to its starting point.  Us girls were 'pushers' but occasionally allowed a go in the steering seat.  The fun ended when one of the boys caught his hand in the spokes of the wheel and bled rather a lot, but I don't think he went to hospital.  Fortunately our play area was flat, I hate to think what might of happened if we took these contraptions to go down a hill. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment