Tuesday 11 August 2015

The Big Adventure - 14

I am nearly there.  It will soon be the end of my 60th year, age 61 will begin a new chapter.  What a great year it has been, not without some seriously heart stopping moments, but after doing a review I am thanking my lucky stars, and God of course, for a wonderful year.

  • Went to a fund raising event and met well known Author, Carole Matthews plus upcoming Author Christie Barlow and her friend Kim Nash, a Publicity Manager.
  • Attended a Woman's Weekly Writing Fiction Workshop in London with co-leader Della Galton, well-known short story writer and novelist.
  • Attended a Quiet Day Retreat in Warwickshire.
  • Learnt loads about food allergies and clean eating.
  • Achieved Gold Card status at the gym (5 year reward card).
  • Retired from Self-Employment.
  • Continue to make lovely cards at Craft Group and on-going attendance at Writer's Block group.
  • Attended a West Midlands Writer's Workshop.
  • Had a magazine article published and received payment for it.
  • Gained new 'friends and fellow authors' on Twitter and Facebook including romantic novelist Mandy Baggott and author Mandy Boles.
  • Continued to Blog.
  • 3 friends had breast cancer diagnosed and treated, 1 friend had a stroke; 1 had stem cell treatment for bone cancer and 1 had a suspected heart attack. A dear friend abroad struggles with early dementia and his family are all pulling together and coping best they know how.
  • Enjoyed a lovely week exploring Norfolk - loved Cromer, Wells-on-sea, Holt and Sherringham.
  • Met up with lots of friends and family in coffee shops and garden centres for lunch or CAKE!
  • I am up to 27,000 words on writing a novel; 15,000 words on memoir/self help book and have retyped children's stories I wrote some 30+ years ago.
  • Met the adorable, munchable Ollie Nash, aged 7. 
  • Lots of 'time out' at the caravan park, in hotels/B&B's and at friends' homes who live further afield. 
Quite a list, quite a year.  As my aged Aunt keeps telling me "old age does not come alone" and I feel I have been plunged into it with dear friends ill health issues.  Knowing how and when to support has been difficult, flowers, meals, drinks, kind words and a listening ear has, at times been hard but makes me so grateful for my own health and pray long may it continue.

So to round off the year perfectly on the horizon is The Big Adventure.  I will be in Skyros, a Greek Island, for my 61st birthday.  How wonderful is that?  Two whole weeks of guided tuition in writing from the acclaimed Author, Dominique Roffey.  My pen and pad will be well used and I hope on my return to have had such inspired input that I will be more focused, more determined, more self-disciplined in my writing and JUST GET ON AND DO IT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment