Thursday 6 August 2015

The Big Adventure – 13



“Are you beach body ready?” the advert asks.  (There has been much protest about this poster on the London Underground walls). I 'follow' The Body Coach on Facebook, who I reckon is going to make it big time on our television screens very soon, but his 'posts' has its positives and negatives.  His food – clean, lean and ready in 15, looks simple to cook and tasty to eat.  It is nutritious and healthy, no fat, no sugar, no additives.  Brilliant, we could all do with meals in a hurry sometimes, and fast food does not have to equal unhealthy choices.

 

The not so positive messages are photos of mainly females, comparing their tummies before and after a 90 day challenge.  As yet he doesn’t seem to reveal his ‘programme’ of exercise alongside the mini clips of him cooking foods, but there is no doubt that the participants have undertaken rigorous exercise to change the shape of their tums.  The photos are impressive and I can tell they are all younger than my senior years.  I expect the photos motivate some people, as do the before and after Slimming World photos.  But for some I guess it will be a dampening of spirit and an “I could never look like that” thought.  So some people will, not doubt, scroll on past.

 

Do I need to be beach body ready?  I am not ‘on the pull’ as youngsters see the beach area; I am not ‘body conscious’ or shy.  If you don’t like my body that is your problem, not mine.  Don’t get me wrong, I have fell prey to wanting to look better and have exercised and eaten healthily for many a year but there comes a stage in life where self-acceptance of ALL that you are comes into play.  It doesn’t mean I will cease self-improvement, both mentally and physically, but I actually am ‘at home’ in my body.

 

I do look in the mirror at my tummy and sigh but I love my tummy.  It is the place that held a precious baby that grew and stretched my skin and organs to capacity.  She grew into a lovely girl and self-confident young woman.  My tummy bears the scars also of three operations in that area.  A small one below my belly button where a laparoscopy was performed by keyhole surgery; a medium sized one to remove my appendix and a long bikini line scar that signifies the end of my childbearing days and which threw me into the menopause.  My tummy, or muffin top, does hang over this long ‘zip-like’ scar and no amount of pulling in; tightening muscles etc. will change that fact.   It is literally a ‘life line’.  I have pampered my tummy with creams and cared for it as much as I know how to.  It bloats and subsides as does other peoples, it would seem. 

 

I blame the additives in foods, the chemicals we unknowingly put into our bodies but feel powerless when food merchants tempt us with chocolate éclairs; ice creams that evoke good; childhood memories; fish and chips - our English traditional seaside meal etc. etc. etc.  We cannot deny ourselves these pleasures forever and shouldn’t have too.  When will someone address the gluten in bread and cakes, when will I be able to buy things rather than have to make things myself knowing they are chemical, sugar or fat free?  So many people these days have allergies – when I was young I only knew one person with eczema and one with hay fever.  Now I am older skin complaints and allergic reactions are so popular.  What changed?

 

Anyway, you will be wondering what all this has to do with my big adventure.  Well it was the original question.  Am I beach body ready?  Yes of course I am, like it or lump it, it is the only body I have.  However, I will be going the next 21 days without bread (again) as I swear this is my main culprit.  Then two whole weeks of a Mediterranean diet will be wonderful.  Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment