Tuesday 26 January 2016

A Husband with Hives


This came to light last year when my beloved broke out, overnight, in lumps, bumps, wheals and rashes.  He was covered from head to toe and his face, lips, and hands were swollen.  It was a shocking sight and with no idea what it was we ended up with an emergency hospital appointment.  We were calmly told it was Hives – an allergic reaction to something.  We then had to find out what the allergy was and it seemed to be ‘dairy products’.  So he spent 3 months extracting dairy from his diet, which was no mean feat as he loves cheese, pork pies, etc.  We found milk products in soap, red wine and other places we had no idea that contained milk.  We read labels, we became aware, educated, enlightened.  He has converted to Soya Milk in tea and on cereals, and eats goat’s cheese and goat’s butter.  The Hives went away.

He re-introduced some diary products and it occasionally comes back, mostly on his head and back at shoulder level.  His face often looks blotchy red with raised bumps or dry skin patches.  Being a caring wife I am forever wondering what is causing it.

At random I took a bathroom product to research as having looked at foodstuffs closely and changed my own eating preferences, I am also aware of chemicals in our household items too.  So here are the results of my findings of a well known dandruff shampoo that my beloved has been using: 

This is what anyone using the product is putting on their head each time they shampoo (and it runs down your body in the shower and can enter your system through your skin).

Ingredients

Aqua = water, especially when used in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent (a substance in which other substances are dissolved, often a liquid.)  So I am guessing the following list is dissolved by ‘aqua’ but to me that just means ‘broken down into mini pieces (I was a long term dissolvable aspirin taker – dropping the tablet into a small amount of water to avoid swallowing a tablet).  Why don’t they just say ‘water’?

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate         I highly recommend you read up on these two for
Sodium Laureth Sulfate       yourself.

Well, having researched the above two items, I now want to dash upstairs and dispose of the product.  It only took me 30 minutes to research on-line to inform myself – this is not good!  I am dreading getting to the bottom of this list. 

Glycol Disteratean emollient, can be seen as a cream coloured wax in room temperature, a compound based on stearic acid which is, a naturally occurring fatty acid; used to opacify (to cause to become opaque) liquid soaps, lotions, creams and shampoos.

Zinc Carbonatea mineral ore which is a water insoluable zinc

Sodium Xylenesulfonate - a chemical formula; a surfactant (which is a complex naturally occurring substance made of six lipids (fats) and four proteins that is produced in the lungs).  Helps remove dirt from skin and hair. May irritate eyes temporarily, studies show no carcogenics.

Zinc pyriyhionemy research found benefits and reviews for skin conditions like acne, psoriasis and rosacea.  This ingredient is what helps get rid of dandruff.  However the possible side affects convinced me that it contributes to my husband’s Hives.  So check your allergies before use.

Cocamidopropyl betaine – a synthetic surfactant that comes from coconut oil but which has also been associated in some cases with irritation and dermatitis. 

Dimethiconecommonly referred to as silicone (which is sometimes used in breast implants, contact lenses and explosives).

Parfum – basically perfume!

Sodium benzoate – An ‘E’ number – E211 a preservative.  One report on www.naturalnews.com says it “promotes cancer and kills healthy cells”.  Another says “it is used as an antifungal preservative in pharmaceutical preparations and foods”.  Yet another says it is “generally recognized as safe in small doses”.

Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloridea derivative of guar gum, an antistatic agent, natural food thickener used in everything from ice cream to pastries..  Plant product.

Hydrochloric acidanything ending in Acid always sends shivers down my spine however we produce Gastric Acid in our stomachs naturally.  Wikipedia says it is a clear, colourless, highly pungent solution that is a highly corrosive, strong mineral acid with many uses – one of which includes removing rust from steel. (Please read the whole article on-line)

Magnesium carbonate hydroxideoften known as milk of magnesia (aha something I recognise and don’t need to explain).

Hexyl cinnamalis a naturally occurring and synthetic scent ingredient, it is associated with allergic reactions. Found in the essential oil of chamomile.  Imparts a jasmine-like scent.

Magnesium nitrateoccurs in mines and caverns as nitromagnesite.  A naturally occurring mineral.

Sodium polynaphthalenesulfonatesodium salts, deemed safe in cosmetics by Cosmetic Ingredients Review Expert Panel.

Methylchloroisothiazolinoneis a preservative with antibacterial and antifungal effects.

Cl 42090Brilliant blue colourant E number 133.
Cl 19140Yellow colourant E number 102

Magnesium chlorideextracted from sea water, used to hydrate.

Methylisothiazolinone – preservative possibly toxic that could cause nerve damage.
“Cosmetic companies defend their use of this ingredient by stating that they use very low amounts, at around 15 ppm. They further claim that because the ingredient is in “rinse-off” products, any dangerous or toxic effects are washed down the drain. Meanwhile, you have a bacteria-free formula that lasts a long time on your shelf.”

So it, along with all the other chemicals found in just one of my household products gets into our water system.  I know I am now getting paranoid and that one person changing their shampoo is not going to make much difference to the environment but just as I learnt about the contraceptive pill having an affect on fish (it being wee’d out, flushed down the loo, ending up in rivers, changing the sex of fish) is everyone’s shampoo chemicals giving us serious health issues?

I typed the list of ingredients, then went back to research them. I realised how little notice I take of what I have stored in bottles in my bathroom.  After typing the list (the words were so small I had to use a magnifying glass to read them) I then asked myself:  What are these words on the shampoo bottle?  What do they mean, what are they?  I can’t even pronounce most of them and two are just numbers.  What are the manufacturers hiding from us?  Why can’t they use words we the consumer understand?  Do we need labels like our foodstuffs with red, amber and green to indicate the good, not so good, and harmful contents?

I appreciate much research is done before products reach our supermarkets and shops but who is making the decision that things are ok for us to use without health hazards?  Products tested on animals may react differently in humans, surely?

I am just an ordinary consumer, not one prone to buying from advertisements although I realise these can and do influence our choices.  I am not in anyway normally interested in science but there comes a time when my choices need to change, hopefully it is not too late to do so.  I have blindly used things I now won’t touch, and have naively brought products for my home without much thought to the environment, my skin and my body.  But that is changing.

My summary of findings on this one product follows:

Toxic
Harmful
Irritant
Astringent
It has both benefits and side affects but, for me, the side affects outweigh the benefits.


On the front of the bottle it claims “up to 100%* flake free anti-dandruff shampoo”
On the reverse the * after the 100% means “visible flakes from a distance of 2 feet”.

Also on the reverse it tells users to “Shake before use.”  Who does that????  And Why???  It does give a warning to avoid contact with your eyes.

The shampoo has a symbol on saying  “research validated by British Skin Foundation” which deals with finding cures for skin diseases.  Another time I may look at their website and see if they are not only finding cures but actively addressing causes.








No comments:

Post a Comment