Sunday 24 January 2016

Author & Bloggers Meet Up II

Bacchus Bar, Birmingham

 Kim Nash, Publicity Manager of Bookouture;  Christie Barlow, Author & myself

What a Fab Day

With train tickets in hand, acquired from a machine rather than a person in a ticket office, I set off for the second city.  The transformation of 'Birmingham New Street' station to 'Grand Central' was amazing.  I felt like I was in New York!  Arriving an hour early I explored the new surroundings: shops, eating areas, coffee bars, wine, ice creams, sushi - it was all available.  In order to get my bearings as to where I was, I exited the Grand Central and crossed the road, which now has tram lines in it so I expect before too long there will be electric buses running there.  The Bacchus Bar was easily found but I went into New Street and back tracked 'up the ramp' that was a familiar entrance to the old station and to the Bull Ring Shopping Centre.  I found a few shops to browse in, made some purchases then went back to the Bacchus Bar.

It has been 40+ years since I went into a pub in Birmingham and, descending the steps, the horror of the Birmingham Bombings back in 1974, when I was a teenager, flashed through my mind.  I had just left New Street having been to see a pop idol, Gilbert O'Sullivan, the same night the bombings had occurred.  Shuddering at the thought that terrorism has never ceased, I opened the door and entered the underground bar in the Burlington Arcade, New Street which has a street history since 1398. It's beauty took my breath away and I wanted to just stand and stare but as I was there for a purpose and people were enjoying their drinks at tables in various coves and wrought iron surrounds, I made my way to the champagne bar which was reserved for our meet up.  There were Kim and Christie and I felt 'at home' in their company.

The room, with its low ceiling and decorative murals, soon became filled up with chatting, enthusiastic people all wanting to get to know one another, meet up with other writers and learn about what they write, whether published, whether a blogger, reviewer, editor, etc.  The room was alive with LIFE.  It was sooooo uplifting.  I am not sure if I was the oldest person there but I felt so much younger, indeed one young lady complemented me on my age by being astounded by my daughter's age, so that boosted my ego!

Photographs were taken, cards and twitter or facebook tags exchanged, lunch eaten, wine, coffee, tea.  It was hard to hear at times with so much chatter but as the room depleted it descended into a more conducive noise level.  I made myself talk to people I hadn't met before and when finally I felt exhausted I left and took the train home.

Twitter and facebook went mad last night and it was wonderful to be able to add new friends and see other people's photos.  When people meet with a common interest it is so much easier to relax in their company.  I found that experience when I went on my writer's holiday last August on the Island of Skyros. (See previous Blogs).   Special people, special places, special talents, special friendships.

To try and still my mind I watched a film, War Horse, in the evening, but alas when my head hit the pillow it was reliving the day.  As always, anxieties and worries never come into being.  If we listen to strongly to the NATs (Negative Automatic Thoughts - see a much earlier blog) we will miss so many opportunities to learn, laugh and LIVE.  Thank you KIM NASH for inviting me and organising these events.  You are a very, very special lady. 





No comments:

Post a Comment