Tuesday 19 January 2016

Authors and Bloggers Meet Up


This was taken in Athen's airport last September.  The book I found was Carole Matthew's latest (then) book The Cake Shop in the Garden.  My favourite author and such an alluring cover.  I was returning from a Writer's Retreat in Skyros and my dream is one day to have a book on a bookshelf for sale.  I don't crave fame and fortune, just to realise that dream. 

For those that 'follow' me on Facebook (Sue Flint, Author) or Twitter (@tweetsue13) you will know I am on that journey.  I have sent off children's books to publishers and have broken through the 40,000 word barrier of a novel.  It feels there is still a long way to go but I am enjoying the journey.

This coming Saturday I have been invited to join a group of Authors and Bloggers in Birmingham. When I accepted the invitation I thought it would be a small group, 12-15 people at most, but there are nearly 50 people going.  I have met 2 before and one I am looking forward to meeting as we 'comment' on Facebook.  So, as you can imagine, I am both very excited and a little bit scared. 

Nerves are a funny thing aren't they?  They churn your stomach up and give you all sorts of negative thoughts.  Should I be going?  I'm not yet an Author.  Where is it?  Will I feel I don't belong?  Who will be there?  And on and on go the 'shall I cancel' thoughts. 

I have learnt not to listen to the rubbish that comes and goes in my head.  JUST DO IT.  I tell myself.  And I will.  I will board the train into Birmingham alone, ask if I get lost, act confidently even if I am quaking in my boots around other authors, and return triumphant have met, I am sure, some very interesting people all at different stages of writing and publication.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment