Thursday 15 August 2019

Swanwick Writers Summer School 2019

Thursday morning:

This is the last day of courses, workshops etc.  Thoughts of packing in readiness for an after breakfast departure tomorrow morning already in my mind.  Then smiles cross my face as I remember the Page to Stage skits of last night.  Several writers had penned 5 minute plays that were directed and played by volunteers - drama and comedy sketches were all a delight to watch.

Today's menu for me is part 4 of 4 How to Write your First Novel by Della Galton then on a recommendation from the man I chatted with in the sunshine a few days ago, I will take the Non Fiction Books 2 part course led by Tarja Moles.  Later I have a 1-1 session booked with Bridget Holden where I will hear feedback of a piece of my novel and hopefully some helpful advice.  My tummy does a leap over at the thought of this meeting with the old, old script in my head of 'you're not good enough' telling me its 'rubbish'.  Go away negative voice!

 Graham Rayner has such a soothing voice and a fountain of knowledge to draw from.

Thursday afternoon:

Non-fiction writing workshops x 2 were extremely interesting.  Thankfully not many notes to write as all her very informative and interesting presentation notes were screened and will be available to download.  I now am more informed of where to start as and when I am ready to try this market too.  I have ideas but hadn't envisaged writing non-fiction until after I was an established novelist.  But.... perhaps I might.

My 1-1 with Bridget went well.  We climbed the stairs in the main house to a lounge that was quiet.  I had not been in this part of Swanwick before and it felt strange being just two people away from all the other delegates.  She had my work on her computer and highlighted areas to talk about.  Her comments were very helpful, confirming and encouraging.  I floated back down the stair assured I was on the right track.  My negative voice vanishes and positive voice is saying: You will be published.

Bridget Holden in the Main House upper Lounge


Next its Posh Frocks and Clean Socks for dinner when the men get out their bow ties or kilts or suits and ladies swish about in glamorous outfits (optional) followed by Awards evening, farewell entertainment and prize draws.  This usually includes our anthem which is led by John Lamont playing the guitar and singing his version of "I will walk 100 miles and I will walk 100 more" which is "I will write 100 words and I will write 100 more" it has us belly laughing and singing along to the chorus with gusto and sends us on our way with the song playing over in our minds for weeks afterwards.

For those of you reading this blog who have not experienced the place or the Summer School,  there are LOTS of other courses, workshops, entertainment etc that I have not mentioned or partaken of (you can read previous year blogs I have written by scrolling down my list and selecting).  I guess I should mention the CAKE - available at every tea break or biscuits and of course the BAR which is open twice a day.  Some bring their own drinks and before dinner this evening will be a Dregs Party - usually on the lawn if the weather holds out - where everyone brings their bottles and shares their left overs.  So you can see it will be a merry last night for those who imbibe.

I would also like to add that the Summer School accommodates a wide range of participants of all ages. I had the privilege of hearing one young woman, possibly in her 20s, sing a song called Atheist which was about her Grandma having suffered and died and the memories of moments and words spoken which have stayed with her and made her question about after-life.  Playing her guitar and vocalising this song was both touching and inspiring.  I later had chance to tell her she should be on Britian's Got Talent but what I meant to say was that she was excellent and could go far with her writing and singing.  Another young lady was brave enough to tell the tutor and delegates of a workshop we were attending of a devastating happening after winning a prize with a play she had written.  Thankfully it has not put her off her talent for writing and producing work to be staged.

I recommend this place, these courses, tutors and friends you haven't met yet who share your interest in learning to write and have walked the path to publishing before you or have had a successful career in some avenue of the writing world.  Look it up on www.swanwickwritersschool.org.uk.  The Hayes Conference Centre is disabled friendly and although Kay-Anne wasn't here this year other 'scooter' users whizzed about and had assistance with dinner plates to tables etc.  Whatever your circumstances or ability/agility you will find this place a writers delight.

Again please make any comments via Twitter @tweetsue13.

No comments:

Post a Comment