Wednesday 10 December 2014

Charity

I'm not adverse to giving to charity.  I do prefer to choose which organisation, how much and when I give.  I understand that 'tin shakers' are part of trips into town, on the sea front and in supermarkets. 
Once a year Santa visits our street in a motorised sleigh, loud Christmas music chiming and bucket shakers walking alongside.  My 'other half' generally takes care of the giving to the Roundtable\Lions as it means leaving the cosy light lounge to the dark, very cold, wet and wintery windy evening in the street, which I am loathed to do.
However, thinking of my £60 challenge I rose to the occasion.  Now the doorbell had rang alerting us to look outside.  I grabbed a coat and a pound coin but no-one was about to relieve me of my donation.  Santa was 'parked' at the top end of the street and no way was I going to run up there and cheer Santa whilst in my slippers.  I waited, thinking he would be slowly driven past my door in a few moments.  Ten minutes later and chilled to the bone the sleigh sped past with all but one of the collection personnel aboard!  A single bucket lady ran to avoid getting left behind. 
We shouted out 'did she want some money?' and she kindly crossed the road to meet us at the roadside.  Not even a 'thank you' or 'merry Christmas' as she fled after the vehicle wondering if she would be missed.
Next year I will stay warm indoors as there are hundreds more Charities that would be more grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment