Monday 8 December 2014

Off My Trolley....


A trip to the supermarket invariably means fumbling in my purse for a £1 coin to use a trolley to wheel around the aisles.  Some people use a 'fob' coin which probably cost £1 to purchase, but nevertheless useful on these occasions especially if you have it to hand on your keyring.  In my experience, however, these said 'fobs' work in some trolleys but not in others.  So, the pound coin is inserted, the chain linking and locking it releases your trolley of the day from the rows of stored contraptions and away you go, list in hand, into the industrial unit with its mirage of clothes, household items and shelves of foods for all occasions and tastes.

Having lived in a little Cypriot village for three years where the only store was a shack with one type of most essentials, the UK shopping experience still overwhelms me.  Do we really need 20 types of soap powders to choose from or several brands of Baked Beans?  Hence my list, go in, get what you need, pay and come out.  Job done.  Well that was before my '60 day challenge'.  Now I like to browse and see what is available and I walk miles just trying to find one ingredient for the recipe I am planning on having for tea.

Anyway, back to the trolley.  No doubt it has happened to us all - sometimes you get a trolley that will not go in the direction you want it to.  You consider taking it back and getting another but decide you can master this metal monster.  The wheels all seem to work against one another until you let go of the handle to reach for some butter from the fridge, then it careers off and crashes into someone else's trolley all of its own accord.  You apologise profusely or laugh and make a joke about having 'L' plates on your back. (Learner driver)

Yesterday I noticed a trolley with a newborn baby in a seat attached to it and a toddler sister was standing inside the said mobility device for parents to shop with.  Mom was carrying a basket for their purchases whilst Dad pushed the children alongside his wife.  I cooed and asked where I could purchase such lovelies only to be met with a silent stare, so I guess a free sense of humour was not available at the baby and children section.  I did wonder about the hygiene of the situation - the toddler had outdoor shoes on and the trolley after all was meant for food purchases.  The next customer would be totally unaware - perhaps I should take disinfectant wipes next time I shop.

In the checkout queue, the trolley again has a dickey-fit not wanting to go into the narrow space between the tills.  I knock the person in front who was holding a dozen eggs ready to place onto the moving counter.  Yes, you guessed, the trolley caused the person to jump, the eggs went flying and the cashier rang a loud bell to get assistance to clean up the mess.  Of course it drew everyones attention to my situation, I flush bright red in the face and hope I am not sued for damages.

So, a long delay in getting through the tills yesterday and when I finally rammed my disobedient trolley back into its storage, retrieving my pound, I decided the plastic baskets on two wheels might have been a better choice for the small amount of purchases I had! 

Note to self : next time steer well away from metal basket trolleys.


No comments:

Post a Comment