Tuesday 14 July 2015

The Big Adventure - 10

So Greece have made an agreement to stay in the Euro zone but they are not out of the woods yet.  It is really quite strange seeing Athens on the TV news each evening and thinking I will be there soon.  I have been there before, many years ago when I stayed at Marathon, when the marathon was being run.  I remember a really old man being the last runner and admiring his determination.  Runners are really inspirational people.  They probably don't realise it as they pound the track, looking ahead, keeping focused on the end line.  But the message they give to onlookers, supporters, cheerers, reporters etc. is something you can't put a price on.  Admiration, wonder, a stirring emotion, a 'willing' them on to achieve the prize of completion.  It is an emotion hard to describe, it is a memory that lasts a very long time.  They are an example to us.  The runners show us what determination looks like, what pains can be overcome with joy.  They remind us that all things are possible if you put your mind to it and that self-discipline has rewards.

Not everyone can run, or cycle or swim or walk even.  Not everyone feels the need to raise money for charity in this way.  But each one of us has something inside that 'calls' us to do.  We have two choices - ignore it or go for it.

Seeing a runner cross the line at the end, whether 99 years of age or their first race at nursery, just fills me with pride for them.  Cheers, clapping and joyful tears from the crowd as the runners near the end and then takes breath of stillness. Smiles from ear to ear knowing they have won their own race regardless of place or timings.  Then they look for someone in the crowd for acknowledgement from someone dear, hugs are given, pats on the back, handshaking, drinks.  Its an electric moment.  Surreal.

I am taking part in my own race, its not a sport but an inner need that needs honing, practising and putting out there for all to see.  It is breathtaking and scary, but like the runners unless you join the race you have no idea of what you are capable of.  Into the unknown of whether you will get cramp and have to give up or whether your body will carry you to your goal. My goal is to be a published writer; one day I will hold a book in my hand with my name on it and I will have crossed the line.  It will be awesome.  Friends are already lining up and cheering me on and this writing holiday is all part of that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment