Thursday 9 July 2015

The Big Adventure blog 9

The Big Adventure creeps ever nearer.  The title makes it sound as if I am going on safari, or parachuting, or going into the jungle and testing my survival skills.  When in fact I am merely taking time out to learn more about writing skills and no doubt, more about myself as travelling abroad alone is out of my comfort zone.
 
The financial crisis continues in Greece but strangely I am unphased by this.  I am looking forwards to the experience.  Money will not spoil that.  As long as I take enough Euros to see me through - buy a few drinks and perhaps a memento or two I will be fine.  Meals are inclusive.  I have clothes and essentials, what else do I need?  The citizens of Greece are having to stretch their cash out, they are limited to what they can withdraw at the bank, if in fact there is any money to withdraw.  What a terribly worrying time for them.  Surely tourists money will be very welcome, spent in shops, restaurants and tavernas.
 
We take our wealth for granted, much like our health, until such disasters occur.  One minute we are muddling along on our wage or income, another we could face poverty.  We never have enough until we have so little and then we realise how rich we were.  When pension pots disappear or benefits are cut, life changes beyond our control.  It is a scary place to be and brings many a different reaction from individuals.
 
So in comparison my big adventure is very small indeed.  It is a fortnight of difference, of change and new learning, it is a luxury to mark the end of my 60th year and what a year it has been.  How lucky and privileged I am to be having this adventure, how blessed and grateful I am to be me.  How random is good or bad fortune, life or death, health or illness.  With that thought, the whole of life is one Big Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment