Tuesday 14 July 2015

THE BIG ADVENTURE - BLOG 7


‘The News’ is doing its best to put the fear of God in me.  Two major issues – a terrorist attack in Tunisia where 30 Britons murdered on the beach, and the Greek monetary crisis. 

Tunisia was terrible, horrendous for those involved and survived.  The families of the dead must feel such shock and turmoil right now.  Imagine, one minute you are laying on a sunbed soaking up the sun, just sinking into a much needed rest.  The sea waves are lapping on the golden sands, straw umbrella’s shading you from the glare.  You smother yourself in suntan lotion and pick up your novel unaware that a madman is striding along towards your area.  Then, in an instant, you are gone.  Others around hear the piercing sound of gunshots, screaming, shouting.  Terrified adults ‘play dead’ face down in the sand, hardly daring to breathe sensing their end may be imminent too.  No time for goodbyes or ‘I love you’.  A terrorist in black clothing wielding a gun is your only concern.  He moves on and away.  Carnage is the sight that greets your eyes now.  No beauty, just bodies and blood.  Crying, weeping, and wailing.  People running away, people running towards to help.  It is like a scene from hell.  A dream moment has become a nightmare, one that will last forever.  You would never be the same again.  Cups of tea for shock, clothes – get dressed.  Hospital visiting or home is the only place for you now.  Holiday over.  Living with loss or trauma will take forever to overcome.  Like many here in UK, all we can do is look on, weep inside, and carry on with living not allowing this horrendous act change our habits or daily routine.  It is beyond our comprehension. It is devastating.  It has us all ‘on edge’ a little.  But feeling helpless we live on and do what we have to do. 

The Greek financial situation affects me also.  Advice is not to use the banks and to take loads of cash, which I am sure, will make me anxious.  Having lots of Euros will no doubt trigger a spate of holidaymakers being robbed, although being on a Greek island away from the mainland will help settle me of this fact.   The travel company have sent an email assuring us of their care which was hugely appreciated.

With only seven weeks to departure I am still looking forward to this adventure.  Of course, all the worst case scenarios pass through my mind most of which I am sure will not happen.  And then I think of Tunisia and all the people affected by that tragedy.  My mood and excitement is lowered and I have to remind myself why I am doing this in order to carry on with the plans.  This voice in my head is the voice of reason and brings my mood to an acceptable level again.  I think of all the lone travelling my daughter has done, that my gym buddy does now she is a widow and tell myself I can do this.  I will do this.  I must to do as part of my desire to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment