Tuesday 21 July 2015

The Big Adventure - blog 11

Twitter is becoming very useful.  Having avoided it for so long I now feel I have mastered using it over and above Facebook.  I have connected with accomplished and would be authors on Twitter and exchanged tweets.  Yesterday, a tweet appeared from someone on the island of Skyros, beginning their writers course, and attached a photo of her view from the accommodation.  It was a sneak preview of things to come.  It fired my happy and uplifted my spirit.

Of course, I replied to her Tweet and 'followed' her.  She was encouraging and I hope to read more of her time there.  It is crazy to believe I am doing this, technology and my persistence to keep up with it makes it possible - to see how someone else enjoys the very same holiday venue that I will be at in 31 days time.  Not that I am counting down!

My new tweeter gave me a glimpse of the island and that led me to do a bit of on-line research.  I know it will be beautifully breathtaking, all Greek islands are.  But a little insight prior to my travels can only be helpful. 

Skyros is home to a population of approximately 3,000 inhabitants who mostly live around its capital town of Chora.  It is famous for the burial site of Rupert Brooke, English Poet.  Pictures of typical whitewashed buildings, windmills, ruins and lots of sea put me in mind of the film Mama Mia.  Note to self : pack good walking shoes and seasickness pills!  I guess there will be a trip or two but otherwise lazy slow living nights, interesting workshops and restful afternoons will be the order of my time there.

Also yesterday I did an early morning airport run to drop a friend off on the first leg of her journey to USA.  We set off at 6.30 am expecting the roads to be quiet, but where does all that traffic come from and go to at that unearthly hour.  She arrived at her destination at what would have been 1 am UK time.  Travelling alone and in need of disabled assistance that is some journey and if she can do that my 3.5 hr flight to Athens will be a doddle in comparison.  Seeing the planes close up and taking off was really exciting, they pass by our house so high up that they are hardly noticeable, but being in the airport grounds amazes me that so many are flying every minute of every day.  Up, up and away.....


No comments:

Post a Comment