Tuesday 28 July 2015

The Big Adventure - 12

Tweeting has become a daily habit, it takes time away from other things, but is a total pleasure when you connect with another budding author who is on the Greek Island you are about to visit for a writing course.  I am connected to several authors and a publicity manager via facebook and twitter.  Not a bad few months work.  It is very encouraging to read their tweets and postings about writing etc.

My latest 'connection' via a tweet from Mandy Baggott, an accomplished author, is Dunster House Ltd., as I recommended them to Mandy as she was looking for a writing space cabin.  I have had mine for 5 years now and when Dunster House asked for photos I pinned all I had of the cabin to a board on Pinterest.  I had fun doing it and seeing the journey from the dream to reality.  The hard work it took of grafting the garden area, the concrete base being installed, the erecting of the tongue and groove wooden slats, the complicated roof.  I christened it 'Greta's Place' as an Aunt had left me some money and I was at a point in my self-employed career where I could not afford to pay office rent any more.  (You can see these photos on Pinterest - just search for Sue Flint, then see my Garden Cabin Board).

Going back on my story a little more, whilst living in Cyprus for three years,I had two dreams - one was to be involved in a Retreat House and the other to be a writer.  Whilst living in Cyprus I lead quiet days and a ladies retreat, and as a qualified professional counsellor did what little I could using my skills with ex-pats.  I also co-founded a Writer's group in Paphos with the lovely Joyce Sehmi, from Read Mediterranean.  Little did I know then that I would live the dreams.  I returned to the UK and together with my husband, managed a Retreat House in Lancashire.  I also took private clients for counselling and later rented an office in High Bentham to begin what became 'Soul Friend Services'.

My Private Practice business continued back in our home town of Staffordshire a decade ago now.  SFS continued, hosting Craft and Writing Groups too.  Renting a room in the library for card making and writing on a weekly or monthly basis became a little too costly and so, when the Cabin was available, the writers, being a small group, would huddle into the garden room and read our set pieces of work and improve our skills.  Craft Group still meet at the library and I have now retired from counselling and SFS no longer exists.

Seeing the journey of the cabin in pictures, especially the fun fund raising times, has made me proud of the expense of erecting a garden room.  I have had one or two ladies who came and used it for Quiet Days and, should I need a quiet space, it is only a few steps away from the house (great when there is football, cricket, rugby etc. on television!)

I am hoping that my big adventure will have the same result.  It is an expense, an effort, scary even, something that will be enjoyed for such a short time, but I hope, like my cabin, it will give me great joy and a purpose to continue to bring about the second dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment