Friday 26 June 2015

The Big Adventure - 6

Who will be there?  Today I find myself wondering about the Tutor for the Writer's Lab on my Skyros holiday.  A quick web search tells me 'Monique Roffey is an award-winning writer and memoirist'.  The 'memoirist' word catches my attention as I have not heard that term used much - usually one is an 'autobiographer' but as I like to write about myself perhaps I am a 'memoirist'.  I have always thought you had to be famous to write an autobiography although I know many a novel is based on true life stories.

That aside, she is younger than I am but has loads of writing experience and I feel assured by her smiling photo that I will like her and learn much from her.  I have not met an 'award winning' author yet although my circle is forever widening in this field.  I hope she is as down to earth and fun like the authors I already know.  How wonderful to have been in the writing field all your career - do I wish I had followed this path earlier?  I have no regrets about my working life, it has been varied and full, so in that respect the answer is no.  I hope to have a good few years at it ahead though! God willing.

Monique has been a very busy lady and has held some high ranking posts.  Someone of such high calibre would have made me feel intimidated and caused me anxiety in my younger days, but with the maturity of years this does not phase me now thankfully.  I can say 'well done you' to her knowing the extent of sitting behind a desk studying she will have done to achieve what she has, the stresses and tensions of exams, the moving around the world, and finding what makes you happy.  Joys, tears, sacrifices and sheer determination all go into the pot of a 'successful' life.  It takes grit, focus and a circle of good friends who are there to encourage you and listen to your woes from time to time.

 
Monique - people are only strangers you haven't met yet.


Next blog : who else will be there?

No comments:

Post a Comment