Saturday 18 October 2014

A Whole New World

Like all new pursuits there is new language to learn.  Computer enthusiasts talk about gigabytes and pixels; knitters know what a slip stitch or cable is; card crafters know what scoring, punching and stamping are; fishermen talk about feeders, poles etc.  If you do something well you learn new words or words that mean something different in that pursuit other than the meaning you are used to.

Cooking is no different.  I have had to research terms used in recipes or methods in order to buy the right ingredient or follow instructions I do not understand.  For example - Buttermilk - is that a solid like butter or a liquid like milk?  I scoured the supermarket shelves but could not find any.  I asked the assistant, she hadn't got a clue either.  In the end I found it in a supermarket I don't visit very often and now know it is found in the section where the cream is.

And what the dickens is 'Bouillion'?  Out comes the dictionary or speaking to 'Google'.  Oh, its a fish stock - why doesn't the recipe just say that?  Vecon was another ingredient I had never heard of but I now know it is a concentrated vegetable stock paste.  Linguine, I have learnt, is a pasta and Passata is a tomato, garlic and herb puree.

I am eating things too that pre-diet I wouldn't have.  Red, green and yellow peppers - I had never seen the point of them other than they are nice colours.  They are ingredients in the SW Extra Easy Diet Cola recipe.  Yes, you read that right - Diet Cola forms part of the 'stock', I guess it adds sweetness.  I would never have dreamed of using fizzy pop in a dinner recipe.  How creative!

So a whole new world of words, tastes and trying 'new to me' foods is opening up.  I recently made 'Soda bread' (using the buttermilk) which contains no yeast.  It was very nice, easy and quick to make and was lovely with homemade soup.

It is a bit like being in a sweet shop as a child, spoilt for choice and wanting to taste them all.  I have printed off over 20 SW recipes so I have a 'stock' of meals ready for trying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment