Tuesday 7 October 2014

Distasterous day

My beloved had requested I bake a Victoria Sponge cake for him to take to work for a fundraising coffee morning.  No problem says I, confident I could do this task without too much bother.  How wrong I was!

The first attempt sank in the middle and almost burnt.  I think I added a little too much milk.  The second attempt, seven eggs later, didn't rise as it usually does but I was not about to make a third.  When it cooled I lathered it with buttercream and reached for the jam.  Oh no, it had gone mouldy.  So that jar went in the bin.

Thinking I would have to go to the shop again I sighed heavily bringing my man into the kitchen to rescue me.  Out of the store cupboard came a fresh jar of Women's Institute Jam (given to me as a birthday present) and this saved the day.

I now have two sponge halves in the freezer to use for pudding in the winter with jam or treacle, or maybe at Christmas for a trifle.  (I will have to exercise my 'portion control' button in my brain then!)

To end the disasterous day we went out for a meal with friends celebrating their Wedding Anniversary.  I had to send my meal back to the chef as the Barnsely Chop was undercooked and red with blood inside, grill burnt on the outside.

The second one, like my cake, was not much better but edible.  The cake was sold in slices and enjoyed by all accounts.  The chop disappeared too.  Some days food just doesn't go right does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment