Friday 24 October 2014

Tipping the Scales

Tipping the Scales - I don't really know what that phrase means - too heavy, out of kilter (whatever kilter is), off balance?  Yes that's it - I'm off balance.  My life suddenly became too heavy with commitments - 'doing things' and 'no time for rest'. 

It happens from time to time - life goes on a day, a week, a month at a time.  I fill my days with work and play but rest gets left out and then wham, something happens to stop me and make me take a look at what I'm doing, make readjustments and go on in a new way.

The 'wham' day was yesterday.  I was out with two friends in the autumn sunshine enjoying the colours and beauty of the season.  We walked through the park then had coffee shop chat.  What could be more perfect?
Then on the journey home I suddenly became frighteningly unwell.  An awful few hours followed but my friends became angels with skin on by taking control of a bad situation.  Today the vomiting has ceased.  I slept like a log and the sun is still shining.  But I feel different.  I am off a treadmill.  Self-assessment takes place - am I obsessing about dieting?; am I overstretching myself with seeing people, going places, doing things?  Am I caring for others and neglecting myself?  When did I last read a book or do some knitting?  Yes, I have tipped the scales.  My life is off balance.  I am trying to cram it all in whilst I can but that is overload and my body has rejected it. 

So I have cancelled the rest of the week's commitments and am have a pyjama day.  Oh bliss.  Peace, quiet, rest.  Lovely.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


No comments:

Post a Comment