Friday 19 September 2014

4 Chocolates

On the eve when Scotland had spent the day voting whether to become Independent or not I was babysitting our great-nephews.  Before the parents left for a night out I was presented with a 'thank you' gift - a big box of Milk Tray chocolates and a bottle of wine.  Niiiice.
 
I rarely eat chocolate these days as my body has had more than enough of it over the years - it rejects it big time the following day.  Three chocolates would be my normal tolerance level but once opened they looked so lovely.
 
I told myself that I was doing well with the diet and not had many 'syns' for a while.  It would be OK to indulge.  I clearly forgot the other affect of eating chocolate after 9pm.  It activates the brain and made me dream.  I dreamt the world was collapsing - buildings falling down and horrendous dust.  Traffic jams on roads and people running for their lives.  So now I am awake with a headache; Scotland voted 'No' so we are still a United kingdom and my tum is telling me to head for the bathroom!
 
My chocoholic days are over.  I miss them sometimes.  Not a day would go by without a Flake, Bounty or Cadbury's Fruit and Nut bar.  I was introduced to this wonderful food when I was about 4 years old.  I remember it distinctly - visiting an aunt and being presented with a China plate of Cadbury's chocolate fingers.  My own fingers were soon covered in melting chocolate as I held a few to eat.  It became a great treat at Easter and Christmas - I got a real taste for it.  It became a habit when I started work and could buy my own supply.  I had a love affair with it for over 40 years.  So I guess it is natural to yearn about the loss in my life.
 
It has long been replaced with 'breakfast' bars and during this challenge by fruit.  I do like fruit with its varieties of tastes and colours but it can be equally as messy.  An orange peeled is so juicy, a ripe pear dribbles down my chin and pineapple, kiwi and plums all need tissues, wipes or a flannel after eating.
 
Times change.  Scotland's referendum will change things in Britain.  Nothing stays the same forever.  Changes are sometimes for our good and very necessary for a better life.
I'm glad Scotland voted to stay connected and in partnership for now but I guess that in another generation this might not always be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment