Sunday 14 September 2014

Going Public

Trying to lose weight is an individual desire and no-one way fits all.  Most 'dieters,' at one time or another, have joined a group for support and accountability.  It spurs them on to hear of others' struggles and what has helped them overcome such times and reach their goal.  In some groups they stand on the scales in front of their fellow dieters - rejoicing or commiserating their loss or gain of weight.

Going public brings with it that much needed support but also an accountability.  Now your friends and family have expectations of you.  They want to know your progress and that can add pressure to succeed or shame and guilt when all is not going well.  So a lot of people try to diet/change their eating habits alone, silently enduring the journey of ups and downs.

I haven't joined a group but most of my friends and a few family members know of my 60 day challenge.  Friends in particular are interested in my progress and a few are reading this blog.  I can report that Week 1 - I was enthusiastic; Week 2 - I got practical - planning, shopping, cooking.  Now that I am going into the third week, and tired, I am not so enthusiastic and wondering how I will manage this week as my busy life fulfils me far more than food! 


1 comment:

  1. They say week four is when most people give up because they can lose heart by then so hang in there and call on your friends for support and encouragement

    ReplyDelete