Monday 29 September 2014

I can cook!

So - voice in my head that says "I can't do it" - there!  I have tried a variety of SW recipes and not had one dinner I did not like.  I was proud of my achievements and have now, excitedly, written a list of others I want to try!  This is some progress for me.

I discovered two of my neighbours are on the same diet so now there is more to chat about other than the weather.  They swap ideas and even food sample so that must be very helpful.  I have felt very isolated/lonely in this dieting regime as it is not a topic I am used to talking about - food.  Food does not thrill me, it has been a necessary evil each day as my head says "I can't be bothered" and quickly follows with the false belief that "I can't do it".

A small flame of interest is burning now and it is something everyone has in common - we all eat.  So the company of others who talk 'same diet info' was welcome for a short time on the driveway of our houses in the afternoon sunshine.  I have, more than once, considered joining the SW club nearby but my neighbour, who goes "just to be weighed" didn't encourage me and by telling me the cost etc. put me off.  Why can't she weigh herself at home?  Is it a sense of accountability?  Someone else knowing how you are doing, egging you on towards your weight-loss goal?

I wish now I had measured my waist prior to commencing (or should I say 'non-waist').  I am not obsessed with weighing myself as I know that can be counter-productive as it naturally fluctuates day by day, week by week.  I do have a set of bathroom scales and use those periodically so I do know I have lost 3kg (whatever that is in 'old money').  I don't have a goal as such, I would like to lose a stone, so by my dodgy mathematics converting kg to lbs, I am half way there.

Thankfully I am not prone to self-sabbotage that I am aware can take place when dieting. When weightloss does't happen quickly, steadily or at all, then some can throw it all up in the air and 'pig out'/gorge/binge then regret it and, when they have got over the guilt and bout of whatever caused them to de-rail, they eventually start again.  Thankfully again, my need is not as crucial.  My health is not at risk from carrying excess weight.  My heart and emotions are really touched by stories of unsucessful attempts; hurting bodies, low moods, lack of willpower/self worth etc.  I wish I could help other than listening, encouraging, empathising, suggesting possible solutions.  At the end of the day inside your own home and own head, it IS a one-person only journey.

As the old croner Frank Sinatra sang :

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

(Did you sing along?)

2 comments:

  1. Well done ~ half a stone is amazing!! A good way to tell how much thinner you are is to look back on recent photos! Whilst I agree that it is something you can do in your own home + head, a lot of people join SW etc to get encouragement for not being alone. The major drawback is it is so expensive. It needs someone to set up something similar but cheaper. SFS. Sue's Fat Solutions!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the cost is a big factor and a reason why many don't join. Having friends on diets helps, my neighbour now asks how I'm doing every time we meet on our driveways. Love the new SFS idea!

    ReplyDelete