Friday 19 September 2014

Motivation

I am not in a good frame of mind.  My default button has got a grip - "I can't do this.". I am asking myself "why did I set myself this challenge?" and telling myself "I'm doing it wrong."  At the time the challenge seemed like a good idea and my reasons justified.
 
I haven't planned my 3 days of cooking and it's Tuesday already.  There aren't enough hours in a day and it has slipped from being my main priority.  I am up early each morning to write.  Writing is no problem, even enjoyable but getting up early is very tiring.  Tiredness causes the brain to 'run out of steam', encourages NATs (negative automatic thoughts) and lowers my mood and enthusiasm.
So, in my head I am reminding myself of the reasons I gave myself a 60 day challenge.  I know I will continue and I know I will 'get a grip' and look up recipes again today and shop for ingredients.  Salad days are growing less as autumn approaches - another obstacle to overcome - keeping warm as being anything less triggers my brain to want warm food.
 
Determination is something I do have when I set my mind to something I really want.  I grin and bear it until I reach my goal.  Only if it is affecting my health or important relationships will I adjust my 'grit'.  Having an end date to work towards on one-hand is a good way of managing.  As the count down to the goal nears relief that it will soon be all over helps motivate that last push. 
 
Having people know where I am at with the challenge is also a motivation factor.  I'm doing it to encourage, inspire or interest them as well as proving something to myself.  But this challenge is not about 'proving' I can diet and write, but that 'head stuff' happens to us all on a daily basis and is rarely talked about.  It CAN be mastered/tamed/controlled.
 
Reminding myself of the goal is great motivation.  Now, where's that recipe book .......

No comments:

Post a Comment