Sunday 21 September 2014

Bad News

Another friend has 'the big C'.  She had an operation to remove it but now it seems she will be having a masectomy to prevent it spreading any further.  It is a cruel disease for sure.

It makes my concerns seem pathetic and futile. "What's the point?" my head asks.  Friends who have dieted over the years tell me it is not the life changing experience you hope for.  Certainly they haven't changed their eating habits - what makes me think I will?  They tell me losing weight is the easy part, maintaining it is more difficult.  So, in the face of bad news it all seems like a waste of time and effort.  "Why can't we just take a pill to nourish us," my brain wails - well I told you I am lazy with food.

Other people's lives affect our own.  If we are around happy people we are happy; if we are around miserable people it is hard to keep chirpy.  The same can be said of illnesses others suffer, being caring and cheerful comes naturally to some, but for others it drains the energy; lowers the mood and they want to hide away or pretend it's not happening.  In my 20's and 30's I did so much hospital visiting, funeral attending and bereavement visiting that I became immune to the grief of it all.  I drifted along in life accepting loss like a trooper.  Just hearing sad news now takes me back to those dark joyless years. 

(This was shared on Facebook today)
 
Life is hardly ever smooth sailing, rough seas of life toss us and turn us.  Instead of pushing on towards our goal sometimes we abandon ship.  We have a pity party and wallow in the depths of "what's the point?". 
 
I am grateful that, having been 'in the pit' many times in the past I now have the wisdom to prevent my own depression.  I 'pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again'.  I know people are watching me, I know I affect others, I know the only way is to 'keep calm and carry on'.  So, I guess along with making the mindless decision of what to wear today, I will also semi-conciously decide what to eat today too.  Life continues - I will be grateful for what I have and make the most of it.  I will be happy despite all the unhappy happenings around me.  The alternative is not an option.



No comments:

Post a Comment