Tuesday 30 September 2014

Food, glorious food.

 
Did the Daily Mail read my Blog entitled 'The Bake Off'?  In last Saturday's newspaper a whole page was devoted to the tv cookery shows.  I'm glad I wrote about it first!
 
 
I did another calculation last night.  I am 60.  Multiply that by 3 meals a day.  Multiply that by 365 days in a year.  Total - 25,700 meals in my life time thus far.  Minus the days I was ill and did not eat and pre-weaned days - let's call it a round 25,000 meals.
 
 
Do I remember any of them?  Not especially, unlike my dearest who can tell you what he ate on the 5th December 1967!  What is that about?  I have eaten 25,000 meals and don't remember them!  I must be a mechanical eater.  I apologise to those who have cooked for me - how rude that I don't remember their carefully prepared and offered delicacies.
 
 
One friend always does me a salmon dinner when I visit as she knows I like that - thank you for this consideration; another offered me sausage rolls when I told her I can't eat pork - we laughed about that for years.  I have been offered ham sandwiches too when I had told the host 'no pork' when she asked about preferences.  Don't people know sausage and ham is pork?  I have bought some Quorn sausages today.  See how they fare.
 
 
We have food 'fads' too - who hasn't had periods of life when they turn their nose up at sprouts, mushy peas or swede?  Then, later in life, acquire a taste for them.  Do our taste buds change the older we get, or are we just more adventurous with foods?  I had never tasted a curry until I married, now though I have gone off them, over spicy and over-rated in my opinion.  I am an old fashioned girl that prefers old fashioned British foods.  Oh, I have just remembered a meal - on one of my first trips abroad.  I was in Marathon, Greece and had consumed 12 days of my introduction to 'foreign' food.  I do love Greek dishes but craved something plain and simple so went to the local taverna and, through sign language, asked for good old fashioned egg and chips.  It was heaven!  What are your food memories or fads?  Do leave a comment below.....

No comments:

Post a Comment