Sunday 7 September 2014

Rabbit Food


Libby

I am discovering 'dieting' is a full time job!  At least it takes up an awful lot of thinking and action time.  Meal time planning increases, shopping for provisions increases, preparing food increases and on this diet I seem to be eating far more often as my hunger increases.  Then there is reading time - what do the diet plan papers say, what's in the recipe etc.  I guess all of this is normal until one gets used to how the healthier eating plan works rather than grabbing what you can, when you can.  Perhaps I will relax into it more as I go along.
Shopping for food has never been my thrill of the week, in fact the same can be said for the daily round of eating.  Unfortunately I see both activities as a necessity to survive, an interruption to my day, a bind basically.  I'm food lazy.  I can't be bothered - life's too short to worry about food.  But it is the very essence of what keeps us going - fuel for the fire.  It is so very important and yet I don't give it the credit it deserves.
I stood in the supermarket yesterday, having asked an assistant where the Quorn products were.  Why do they call it 'chicken' Quorn and shape it like a breast of chicken - it's Quorn, soya bean, Tofu or something that's not meat.  Are they trying to trick our brains or do we do that ourselves?  Do sausages have to be long cylindrical shaped or else they are not sausages regardless of what's in them?  I suppose they do.
Meat substitutes are very unappealing but a healthier alternative on occasion.  I was a vegetarian for four years once so I know that it tastes just as good and contains very little fat.  Yet I came away without buying any.  Why?  Because I'm not ready to make the switch.  The excuses flood my brain. Note to self - get some Quorn or vegetarian recipes again.
So for this week it has been mainly rabbit food, as Grandma used to call salad.  "Leaves are for rabbits," I can hear her say.  She was a cuddly sized Grandma.  I now realise why.  But I really enjoy a salad - easy to prepare, lots of colour, variety of taste and a full plate.  However it does leave me wanting something else afterwards. 
I have done well with breakfasts and lunches, even when in a hurry or out with a friend.  I feel I should be putting weight on with the amount I am eating but am hoping the choices I make are foods that fight each other and give me nourishment but no fat.
I have failed to exercise this week.  How do I have time to fit that in as well?  The good news is I am enjoying the writing side of my 60 day challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment