Friday 12 September 2014

Write on!

There are two parts to my 60 day challenge and so far I have only written about the first part.  The challenge is to a) diet and b) write every day.  I don't always write straight onto the computer so some days my blogs won't appear until a few days later.  But my notebook is getting well used, so dear readers keep following...

Writing is easy for me, it's natural, part of who I am and what I do.  It is a form of therapy as I scribble the words that are in my head onto paper.  I can write if I'm happy or sad, angry or hurt, confused or needing to make a decision, feeling poetical, spiritual or caring.  Words come, and through my pen, enable release or comfort, inspiration or laughter.

Writing wasn't always with a pen - I'm old enough to remember chalk on a small wooden edged blackboards (teacher used chalk on a wall board and used a wooden block with a felt surface to wipe it off again).  As a child at school we used pencils and when the lead broke or went blunt we would go to the teacher's desk and use a clamped on pencil sharpener to bring our writing implement back to a useful state.
 
In top junior class, having mastered double writing, Quink ink filled our fountain pens.  No, I'm not old enough to remember inkwells and scratchy nib pens!  It was a messy business pressing the metal bar on the rubber tube that sucked up a barrel of ink to last a day or two of writing in our exercise books.  We very often made a splodge on the page that had to be soaked up on our green sheet of blotting paper.  Teacher would then invariably put a red pen mark around the splodge with a 'see me' or other scary comment written in the margin when our work was handed in.  If the splodge wasn't on the page or desk it gave our fingers a blue stain.

 
 Thankfully cartridge pens were soon invented but he humble Biro is a winner by far.  You can find one in every household, every handbag or briefcase, every desk or kitchen drawer, even down the side of the sofa.  We use them to write lists and reminders, do crosswords or suduko, draw diagrams and add up figures.  Some of us still write letters with them.  Now though, we are writing less and less as computers, ipads and mobile phones take over - writing becomes a less used medium.  But for me, there is nothing like holding a pen and have it float across a blank page until it is full.  Write on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment